45 Things to do in Newport, RI with Kids
Newport, Rhode Island has a reputation as a summer playground for the elite, but in truth it makes for a great family vacation. Yes, you will see fabulous Gilded Age mansions and expensive sailing yachts in the harbor. But coastal Newport is an egalitarian town that can even be a bargain during the off-season. In summer there are lots of low-cost public boating opportunities, free beaches, a rich line up of outdoor concerts and easy hikes that exploit the area’s natural beauty. In winter months the public skating rink, free holiday festivities and the annual Winter Festival provide cold weather fun. There are casual restaurants and hotels that cater to families. Newport’s manageable size makes it a wonderful walking town, so if you don’t have a car, keep this in mind.
Here's what to do, where to eat and stay in Newport for families:
1) Visit the interactive International Tennis Hall of Fame, fun even if you are not a fan of the game.
2) Hop on the old-fashioned Trolley and get a great overview of town.
3) The Breakers mansion offers a family audio tour just for kids. It brings the 70-room estate to life with tales from the children who lived here.
4) The Elms is another appropriate mansion for kids to visit, with a behind-the-scenes tour that gives families an Upstairs, Downstairs perspective on the lives of the rich and those who serve them.
5) Museum of Newport History, run by the Newport Historical Society, is the place to get acquainted with the towns 300 year plus history, with interactive exhibits.
6) Look at books at the Redwood Library, the oldest continuously operating library in North America.
7) Visit the Touro Synagogue, the oldest house of Jewish worship in North America
8) Sail Newport offers sailing lessons and boat rentals.
9) Join in on a Seal Safari boat ride with Seal Watch Cruises.
10) Look at the boats docked at the Newport Yacht Club, home to some fabulous sailing yachts.
11) The sailing vessel Madeleine is a 70-foot schooner that is another fine way to view the Harbor.
12) Swim at popular Easton’s Beach and enjoy a treat at the snack bar.
13) Ride the vintage carousel at Easton’s Beach.
14) Hike a section of The Cliff Walk, a paved 3.5 mile path that provides a glimpse of the mansion’s backyards as well as breathtaking Atlantic Ocean views. Portions of it are even stroller-friendly.
15) Learn how to blow glass at Thames Glass.
16) Play arcade games at Ryan Family Amusement Center.
17) Play in leafy Touro Park.
18) Visit Green Envy Eco-Boutique, where everything sold is organic, eco-friendly or fair trade.
19) Drop by Miniature Occasions & Dolls, a one-of-a-kind treasure trove for miniature furniture, perfect for the dollhouse lover.
20) Watch the candy makers at work at the Newport Fudgery and sample the treats.
21) Have a thick frappe or an ice cream cone at the Newport Creamery.
22) Paint a pot at the Accidental Artist craft studio, the perfect place to hangout on a rainy day.
23) Visit the Save The Bay Exploration Center and touch the sea creatures that live in the touch tank.
24) The Museum of Yachting teaches the culture and heritage of the sport. You ride a water taxi shuttle to the museum from the harbor, so getting there is half the fun.
25) Shop for fresh produce for a healthy snack at one of the local Newport Farmer’s Markets.
26) Take in a Newport Gulls baseball game at Cardines Field.
27) Visit the Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth, just a few minutes down the road, and enjoy the giant animal topiaries.
Where to Eat:
28) Brick Alley Pub and Restaurant has a gluten-free menu plus lots of home-style dishes for kids.
29) Dine on Italian-American fare at Salas’, where you pay per meatball, so everyone gets the perfect-sized portion. It is a spacious place, great for hungry families.
30) Eat a chili dog at Ben’s Chili Dogs, cash only.
31) Have pizza at Nikolas Pizza, a local favorite.
Where to Stay:
32) Stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport on Goat Island, and the kids will have their own in-house Director of Fun, who plans non-stop activities like pizza making and poolside dive-in movies.
33) Stay at the Hotel Viking and splurge on Prince and Princess kid’s spa treatments at the in-house Spa Terre.
When to Go:
34) Spend 4th of July in the historic town, and you will be wowed by the fireworks display over the Harbor.
35) The Newport Winter Festival is a 10-day carnival that celebrates cold weather with tons of non-stop family activities.
36) Over 50,000 daffodils bloom at Daffodil Days at Blithewold Mansion each April in neighboring Bristol.
37) Listen to music at the Newport Jazz Festival, held outdoors at scenic Fort Adams State Park.
38) The Newport Folk Festival is also at Fort Adams, plus there is a cute craft fair too.
39) The New Year’s Day Polar Bear Plunge is a wacky annual event that is fun to watch, when the local Polar Bear club members plunge into the icy waters.
40) Newport Yachting Center is the site of the Great Chowder Cook-off each June, with all-you-can-eat chowder samples and lots of kid-friendly activities. There is also a cool Reggae Festival here in August.
41) Visit Newport in December and enjoy the annual month-long festivities during Christmas in Newport. Concerts, crafts and special activities are held all month.
42) Just after Thanksgiving you can watch Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive by tugboat into Bowen’s Wharf at the annual Christmas Tree Lighting.
43) Bowen’s Wharf is the location of the fall Seafood Festival. Seafood of all kinds is celebrated with cook-offs, live music, face painting and kid’s activities.
44) You don’t have to go all the way to Wimbledon to watch tennis being played on grass. The Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championship is the only North American tournament played on grass, held in Newport each July. Big-name players are usually here.
45) Ice skate in winter at the town’s Newport Skating Center.
For more Newport vacation ideas, check out the Go Newport website. They have a good list of last minute hotel deals if you are up for an impromptu getaway.
- Celebrate Mother's Day with Kids - 3 Great Day Trips from Boston
- LA's Christmas Boat Parades: Newport Beach, the Marina, and More
- Fun & Free Things to Do This Weekend with LA Kids: Breakfast, Boat Parades and Hanukkah! Dec 10 - 11.
- Blue Star Museums: Honoring Active Duty Military Families with Free Admission